This Year is Flying By...
Oh my goodness, I can't believe how fast this year is going. And how I haven't blogged in a while... Sometimes life just flies on by, doesn't it? We're already in June which means summer is officially on its way. Although sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Today is grey outside.
Here's a little update on what's been going on with O&R recently over the last few months.
1. I've been doing a big old tidy up of the studio. On quieter days, I have been reshuffling things around to make the making and packaging process easier for myself. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error to get things right in your working environment. I quite enjoy this process, and so now I'm two years in, I have a good idea of where I like things to be so that they're accessible and I can get jobs completed a lot faster. It's funny to think that just two years ago when the business began that I was just in my old kitchen! Now I actually have space for everything and most things have a proper home. However, some things don't... which leads me onto my next point...
2. I'm at the point of looking for a new studio space. Can you believe it?! Candle making comes with its downsides... you need a lot of space for storage. It's not just wicks and wax, but a whole host of other materials such as glassware, wax machines, postal boxes, candle and reed diffuser boxes and so on. Ideally I'm looking for somewhere that I can have really long tables for candle making and a separate packaging area etc. The searching process has only just begun so I will have to see what I can find. It's not essential, but a luxury at this current time.
3. Brainstorming for the year ahead. With looking at new premises comes also thinking about where I want to take the business in the next year. It's quite exciting thinking of where I could take O&R and how I can really push the business. It's very tricky in today's world but I feel determined as I fully believe in the products I make and sell.
4. Short term planning for Christmas. This is my favourite thing to do as it's my opportunity to analyse what products sold well during the previous festive season and what didn't. I have had two Christmases now with the business so each new year I'm getting an even better idea of what my customers like. This autumn I will be incorporating even more of what has been successful and I'm really excited to get these things up on the website in September ready for the gifting season. Watch this space!
5. Considering narrowing down the fragrance collection. With new products on the horizon, it means clearing out some of the old unfortunately. I really hate to do this as every fragrance is so popular. However, nothing lasts forever, and it's important for things to still be manageable for me as a one-man-band. I'm still thinking this over but I will have to make some firm decisions soon.
So, lots going on for O&R but I'm using this summer period which tends to be a little quieter, to get myself in check for the busy autumn season coming up.
Will post another update soon!